Saturday, January 27, 2007

traveling...

We have social anxiety disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and any number of odd disorders in the DSM IV, none of which I have. How about PBTDD, or pre-Boston-travel dysphoric disorder?
When I have to travel in Boston, I get the worst anxiety. Driving only. If I can take the T, it's no problem. But driving the streets of Boston or any of the surrounding towns just fills me with dread. Give me Manhattan any day of the week. At least it's a grid.

Boston is anything but a grid. I think the roads were originally meandering cow paths.

I am going to Boston today to see some friends. Then flying to an interview for fellowship in Ohio, which means Logan. Ugh. I was pleased to find out that it's a little easier to get to the airport via the T (Red Line to South Station to get the Silver Line to Logan). The last time I lived there, that did not exist. You had to take some concoction of the Red to the Green to the Blue and then get a shuttle. Much less confusing now.
So, off I go through the snow. At least it's a Saturday, so you crazy Massachussetts drivers won't be driving in the breakdown lane. Seriously. Who thought that would be a good idea?

2 comments:

Just Suzanne said...

I've never driven in Boston, but I've been driven around while there, by a MANIAC! lol I can't imagine trying to navigate those streets on a regular basis. Nashville (where I live) must have been modeled after Boston, street-wise, since none of our streets seem to follow any discernible pattern, or have consistent names, for that matter. What's up with city planners, anyway? You'd think sometimes that they've simply thrown a bunch of pickup sticks in the air and then laid out their cities based on what landed where.

Have fun in Boston, regardless. Truly one of my favorite cities of all time, and one I can't wait to visit again. :)

Peace,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I was intending to be there for that marathon thing in April, but that kind of went down the shitter for this year. The streets are very confusing indeed; it's almost a relief to have to postpone the trip for a year.

I hope you had a wonderful time with your friends.