- Don't have a heart attack on a weekend, as you are more likely to die from lack of aggressive treatment.
- Don't go to the theater on a Saturday night, as you are likely to be surrounded by snoring, drunken couples who wanted to have a night away from the kids.
- Don't go to a nice restaurant on Monday, as you are likely to be served left-over fish by second-string staff.
- Don't have a baby on a weekend unless you can help it, as the hospital is more likely to be under-staffed and your baby is more likely to die (the author's contention, not one that I agree with).
- Don't send email on Sundays or late at night; apparently spam goes out between 2-5 am and your email will be mixed in with offers for cheap Viagra or notices that somehow they lost your personal identifying information on that order you never placed (under the rock they think you were born under) and would you please re-send your SSN and bank routing number?
- Don't buy a car on a weekend day in the fall (try weekday in July or August).
- Don't fly in the late afternoon (or anytime in December if you can help it). Duh.
- Don't get arrested on a weekend, as you will likely find yourself in a holding cell until the judge gets back from his golf game or hunting trip.
I would add the following:
- Don't get really sick in July unless you want an intern taking care of you who has no idea what they are doing.
- Don't make appointments in clinic for late in the afternoon (early morning or first appointment after lunch are better bets for not having to wait).
- Don't go to the emergency room for anything that isn't an actual emergency (bleeding, broken, not conscious, can't breathe...well, you get the point).
Any other tips from readers out there?