Sunday, February 26, 2006

finally...

A short preamble...
During my 8 months as an intern, there have not been an overwhelming opportunity to do procedures. My first month in the ICN, I had 3 opportunities to intubate one of the little wee ones. My record was 1 for 3. Not the best. Also not all that confidence-inspiring, considering that next year, as a 2nd year resident, I will be on call without the back-up that I've had this year. During my second month in the ICN, I had NO opportunity to intubate. None. Zero. So, needless to say, I was a bit apprehensive about my looming role as a 2nd year.
I was happily minding my own business this afternoon over on the ward when the nepnatal nurse practitioner calls over and asks if I want to intubate one of the babies in, say, 20 minutes? Sure, why not. I'm 1 for 3. I'll either be 1 for 4 or 2 for 4 after it's all said and done, right?
Several, deep, calming breaths. I can do this.
I am now 2 for 4.
It went fairly quickly, although I think I initially intubated his right mainstem in my zealousness to get the tube in the right hole. Just pulled it back a smidge and, voila! Equal breath sounds on both sides. If only they were all that easy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been intubating for 9 years now including residency. It's never easy, and one should always have a healthy fear of it. But you'll get it, promise.

Doc Around the Clock

Anonymous said...

by the way, I love your blog. Adding you to mine.

Doc Around the Clock